[Matroska-devel] Re: matroska excluded from Gordian Knot 0.29 Alpha

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Oct 21 11:37:33 CEST 2003

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

> Pamel wrote:
>
>> Using the AVI code would tell you what size the file will not reach.
>> This is
>>
>> probably better than nothing at all.
>> Pamel
>>

> This was exactly the idea ... it will always leave some MB to include
> either TCMP or one of the matroska packs with the CD :D ....

I've found out why my code was b0rked. However, with this EBML lacing, I
will *never* promise an
accuracy any better than 10% for overhead prediction. Basicly, it will
be off by not more than
0.5 bytes per frame (it can be 1 or 2, so if I assume 1.5 bytes per
frame, it won't be off by more than
0,5), i.e. 75 kB per hour and stream, which is 450 kB for 3 languages in
a 2h movie, which is
about 10% of the total overhead of such a thing, roughly estimated. The
more vbr audio streams
there are, the worse *could* the estimation be.

Anything better would require statistical analysis of the output of
certain encoders for each bitrate and
quality setting. What you see in the attached file is 3 hours, but only
one stream.

Alex