[Matroska-devel] Element order in EBML/libebml

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Oct 20 17:08:22 CEST 2003

Cyrius wrote:

> The "ordering doesn't matter" still need to be
> discussed.
> If order doesn't matter I don't see why we all try to
> mux the stream in sync (and e.g. write the subtitles
> block just after the video at which time they should
> appear, and so on).
>
> If order doesn't matter that means you would have to
> load the file in memory and sort the elements to get
> back the correct order (that's just to point out some
> nonsense behind "order doesn't matter")

OK, I agree, there IS a problem based on what I said with the MPEG4
encoding order (as an example). I proposed that we add an order number
to each block (or to each frame) that would help such a possible
reorder. But for now this is not a problem and probably never will.
Because I don't know any reader that change the order of elements on
reading. And rewriting or adding elements to such an element would not
change the order in libebml (and probably any other library).