[Matroska-devel] Re: DRAFT: new elements for compression/encryption

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 17 10:56:03 CEST 2003

Ronald Bultje wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 10:00, Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
>>I was thinking about adding a Bitfield EBML type someday. Maybe we could
>>do it now.
>

> How is a bitfield different from a uint?

The same difference between a uint and an sint : the interpretation.

An application may care about one specific bit in the field and not the
rest. While with an int you have the value that you have to interpret
completely.

In other words, a bitfield contains many different "data", unlike an
uint/sint which contains linear values.