[Matroska-devel] Re: matroska USE flag

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Wed Oct 15 23:03:58 CEST 2003

Luke-Jr wrote:
>>>Matroska is a (relatively) new container format for things like video and
>>>audio. Programs (such as MPlayer) would use such a flag for depending on
>>>libmatroska and using --enable-matroska. Comments?
>>Is it stable, are there allready programs that use it?
> Not sure, as it just came to my attention when videos recently started using
> it more often, but that would suggest it is stable...

Yes, matroska is stable, and both libmatroska and libebml are in Debian
stable already. It is supported in the following apps and players right
now :

- mplayer ( Linux, win32, MacOSX, BeOS )
- VLC ( Linux, win32, MacOSX )
- Gstreamer/lavrec ( Linux ), only HEAD, so its not in GNOME yet
- Mosu's MKVtoolnix/mkvmerge ( Linux, win32 )
- DirectShow splitter ( win32 )
- DirectShow muxer ( win32 )
- a mod of Virtualdub, called VirtualdubMod .. lol :) ( win32 )
- AVImux-GUI ( win32 )
- X-Box Mediapack

We are working on a C lib ( splitter/parser first ) for getting included
into FFMPEG also, but that may take a little while.

> Programs in Portage I am aware of that would use it are media-video/
> {vlc,mplayer}
>
>>If the first answer is yes, and the second is more than 1 then I think we
>>can add the use flag.
> Luke-Jr
> Developer, Gentoo Linux

Great ! :) If you need assistance in any respect, please visit us on
irc.corecodec.com #matroska or drop a mail to
matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org