[Matroska-devel] Added lacing

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Oct 15 13:09:04 CEST 2003

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand your answer. Did you implement the 2
> different ways of storing the size in EBML lacing ?

I first tried my version of signed ebml ints (0xFF = -1) and then yours
(0xFF = 63).

> And what do you mean by "large sizes rarely occur" ?

Most of the size elemens you have to code will be small; small enough to
fit in
2 bytes. So a small lookup table could catch most encode inquiries.

> And the lookup-table is overkill IMO, especially for VBR codex (where
> any size of frame can occur).

You could use a lookup table for example for 0-16383 and use normal
encoding for
higher numbers. The, all methods, whetever you could possibly think of
to store signed
ebml ints, would take the same amount of time.

Alex