[Matroska-devel] Added lacing

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Oct 15 13:05:13 CEST 2003

Alexander Noé wrote:

> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
>> - I will make some tests between different ways to store the sign in
>> the EBML lacing. Namely the way I put in the specs and the way Alexnoe
>> suggested of putting a signed value directly in the EBML. I'll make
>> some speed tests and see which one is better to read/write
>> (performance should be best for reading)... If anyone wants to code
>> that before myself (tonight or friday evening), feel free ;)
>

> I've already implemented both versions, and it really does not matter.
> Since you could use lookup tables
> for both cases for small sizes, the performance is equal as well. Leave
> it as it is in the specs (large
> sizes rarely occur).

I'm not sure I understand your answer. Did you implement the 2 different
ways of storing the size in EBML lacing ? Or the 2 different lacing
methods ?

And what do you mean by "large sizes rarely occur" ? In the case of EBML
lacing, this is differential, so only large variations matter.

And the lookup-table is overkill IMO, especially for VBR codex (where
any size of frame can occur).