[Matroska-devel] Re: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support toFFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 18:12:36 CEST 2003

If we make the move, it should be done as quickly as possible.
At least all softwares that can encode should be updated now not avoid
producing files with the old lacing. Because it should be phased out and
marked as "obsolete" (but still part of the specs).

We always wanted to make files created now still be compatible with
future players, so it should be ! IMO we should keep the same Block we
use now, but just set a bit in the Block header (as suggested by Pamel
?) to say that it's an alternative lacing...

bit 6-5 :
00 : no lacing
10 : old lacing
01 : new lacing
11 : reserved for another lacing system

That means all future players will have to keep the legacy of this old
deprecated lacing... Well as it's not a complicated feature (as long as
you have the other one working) it should never be a problem. But we
need to avoid ASAP people to use the old one.

That should be quite easy to have people make the move ASAP. As long as
you show them (who already use lacing) that their files will be smaller !