[Matroska-devel] Re: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support toFFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 17:20:16 CEST 2003

--- Pamel <paul at msn.com> wrote:
> Why not just make a Type2 Block that is improved?
> It should not be hard, the
> only programs that HAVE to be updated are the
> playback programs, and there
> aren't that many programs to update.
If the new Block defined this way can inherit from the
already existing Block, and provided that the programs
(or filters) use the common functions to retrieve the
frames (in libmatroska, 'NumberFrames' to get the
number of frames, and 'GetBuffer' to retrieve a
pointer to a class holding the important data about a
frame) then the programs would even be easily updated
by just taking into account the new EBML ID.

Of course I don't know for Gabest's and Alexnoe's
implementation since they use their own system instead
of libmatroska.

> Make the lace
> sizes EBML style, and add a
> bit flag for all laced frames being the same size.
> Easy, eh?
Yeah easy ;). It's true that using the EBML style for
encoding the size of a lace would require less space
than the current system.
But before doing anything like that some tests should
be made to make sure there is no (or at least not too
important) drawback on speed: is encoding/decoding an
EBML encoded size faster or slower than the current
system ?