[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Oct 14 15:36:58 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>>... just think of the potentially upcoming hardware devices, and
>>consider what damage you can do to the project if those companies
>>using matroska to overcome compatibility problem with b0rked and
>>hacked AVI files on their hardware units, run into exactly those when
>>users create fancy MKV files and they will not play :( ...
>>

>Well that's what hardware profiles are for. I think we'll have some
>'rules' which features a file must not use in order to be considered
>'playable by hardware'.

Yes, but we should aim to release tools such that 99% of all matroska
files are playable by hardware devices in any case, even if the creation
tools did not follow the hardware profile suggestions literally, because
this will improve the interest of the hardware manufacturers in our
container. Fortunately all current existing matroska creation apps will
produce files that CAN be played fine by normal hardware devices, unless
any strange switches were used, so we are on the safe side here. But i
see it with sorrow that now there is a tendency to make the apps more
and more powerful to 'tweak' the specs, thus making it hard for current
hardware devices to play those files, as these dont have the processing
power of fast drives to handle such files ....