[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Oct 14 15:27:02 CEST 2003

Hi.

> If i would be the main developer, i would also make much stricter
> specs than robux4 did, as IMHO the freedom of the programmer/developer
> for file creation should stand behind the needs of the users, and that
> is to have a file that plays fine under all circumstances, and on all
> players

I had the same discussion with Steve myself, but now I share his point
of view: Users will 'just decide' that sane options and sane files are
better. They'll probably experiment with experimental features, but when
they see that they get problems with those which they don't have with
'sane' options then they'll stick to the sane ones.

Have a little faith in the users ;)

> ... just think of the potentially upcoming hardware devices, and
> consider what damage you can do to the project if those companies
> using matroska to overcome compatibility problem with b0rked and
> hacked AVI files on their hardware units, run into exactly those when
> users create fancy MKV files and they will not play :( ...

Well that's what hardware profiles are for. I think we'll have some
'rules' which features a file must not use in order to be considered
'playable by hardware'.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)