[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Oct 14 15:16:23 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>Hi.
>

>>What do you think of putting multiple AC3 frames in one block in
>>matroska ? (let's try to start with 2 to see the potential gain). It
>>should not lead to any playback problem. Only editing will be bad.
>>

>I'm personally a big fan of having 'one media block in one Matroska
>block' and will always try to write code that'll achieve this. I could
>change that easily for the 'usual suspects' (AAC, AC3, MP3), and maybe
>I'll add such a mode/hack. But I'd never document it ;)

I love this guy, really i do :) ! Mosu, you are sooo right about this, i
really hope you will stay with the project for a very long time !! IMHO
and as stated on IRC just a couple of minutes ago, compatibility and
playability should always be the higher goals than trying to save a few
100 KB of overhead. If i would be the main developer, i would also make
much stricter specs than robux4 did, as IMHO the freedom of the
programmer/developer for file creation should stand behind the needs of
the users, and that is to have a file that plays fine under all
circumstances, and on all players ... just think of the potentially
upcoming hardware devices, and consider what damage you can do to the
project if those companies using matroska to overcome compatibility
problem with b0rked and hacked AVI files on their hardware units, run
into exactly those when users create fancy MKV files and they will not
play :( ...

Christian
matroska project admin