[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Alexander Noé alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Oct 14 13:42:51 CEST 2003

Liisachan wrote:

> What I was trying to say was not "The format X is the best and the
> other formats are bad"
> but "Matroska is not that bad and popular in a way among endusers."
> That's just it.

Right

> Just mux XviD + AC3 in AVI / OGM /MKV
> MKV is obviously smaller...and usually AVI is the 2nd best in smallness

I've only recently added a setting to solve that problem.

> But this is not the main reason why more and more ppl are begining to
> hate AVI--
> if size was the problem, they wouldnt use OGM

Well, I don't use it :-)

> and I agree there may be new possibilities in AVI and OGM too,
> tho common users cannot access to it atm, and SSA in OGM is still too
> buggy for real use

I would not have spent 2 weeks on writing 5.000 or 6.000 lines of
Matroska code (that
is only my 'lib'!) of I did not see a serious reason to. I just do not
want people to claim
things which are untrue. We don't sell stuff for money :-)

Alex