[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 12:31:58 CEST 2003

Alexander Noé wrote:

> I test standard conform. If you want to see results with violations of
> what we have agreed on, then
> I will do those tests and add an option to avimux gui to write such
> b0rked files on the risk of the user.
> If you put 6 frames of AC3 in one matroska block, the saved overhead,
> compared to AVI, should
> be one byte per frame in theory. It would IMHO be a hack, but you know
> that I like hacks, and I
> will implement it if you explicitely tell me to implement a hack.
>
> But see the constant-frame-size-flag-thing for lace headers. It would be
> no hack and achieve the same affect.

If what you did in AVI to achieve that is a hack, it's reasonable to do
the same with matroska... If you want to compare apples and apples.

Now the flag you propose may be an option. But IMO it's not necessary.
It's not matroska's business to know what is inside a block. It's all a
codec problem. As I said, for AC3 and MPEG Audio, this behaviour should
never be a problem on any platform. As these codex contain built-in
framing. (or did we remove the one in AC3 ? I doubt it)