[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Tue Oct 14 12:22:00 CEST 2003

Alexander Noé wrote:

> At that point, I should add that AVI can do that as well.....

Yeah, I didn't say I hate AVI and probably I am the very one who wrote
about
Soft SSA with AVI-Mux GUI for the frist time in japan, on 23 March 2003
http://www.faireal.net/articles/7/14/#d30323_3

I wrote: "This shows now AVI is better than OGM in a way"

Then, a big magazine in Japan "Net Runner" found this
Even in its webpage, that big magazine recomended to use AVI-MUX gui to
embed SSA in the movie,
altho, in reality, ppl do prefer MKV for some reasons...(maybe because
of Vorbis/AAC supports?)
# I know about Ogg Vorbis ACM too

What I was trying to say was not "The format X is the best and the other
formats are bad"
but "Matroska is not that bad and popular in a way among endusers."
That's just it.

> No, he means S_TEXT/SSA. The code 'S_SSA' has been used by some very old
> versions of mkvmerge and is wrong. I hope that no one is using
> mkvmerge 0.4.x any longer...

You are right, sorry.

> Again overhead talk :o

Just mux XviD + AC3 in AVI / OGM /MKV
MKV is obviously smaller...and usually AVI is the 2nd best in smallness
I don't know the theory, but this is everyone's real-life experience, i
think.

But this is not the main reason why more and more ppl are begining to
hate AVI--
if size was the problem, they wouldnt use OGM

and I agree there may be new possibilities in AVI and OGM too,
tho common users cannot access to it atm, and SSA in OGM is still too
buggy for real use

* Liisachan *