[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 11:22:27 CEST 2003

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> I'm all for changes, if they have a good reason.  I don't see the need
> for another file format.  IMHO, the MPEG formats are good enough, and
> are already widely accepted.  To be worthwhile, a new format should
> add something significant over the existing formats.

Lower overhead size, specs available to everyone for free, royalty free,
opened to any codec, extensible as you wish, all based on an easy
principle (EBML). That's all that comes to my mind for now.

> In this case, I merely stated that quoting an official promotion site
> doesn't really prove the popularity of anything.

So what would be decisive for you ? Popularity of a crap format ? Of an
unpopular format that is technically good ? Matroska has a (fast)
growing popularity and is technically good (I won't claim it's the best,
but it's among the best ones). What else do you need ?