[Matroska-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Adding matroska support to FFMPEG via libmatroska/libebml, in C++ ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Oct 13 21:38:47 CEST 2003

Hi Roman,

Roman Shaposhnick wrote:

>Personally, I'd be against adding C++ parts to ffmpeg.
>
>Thanks,
>Roman.
>
>P.S. Why did you pick C++ to develop a potentially cross-platform library
>in the first place: it's so much harder to get a buy-in for a C++ code....
>No offense, just curious ....

To be honest, i guess we never expected that matroska would become such
a great success in the first place, so the acceptance of the main
library for integration into well introduced and widespread libs like
FFMPEG was not at all in the focus when our devs, mainly Steve 'robux4'
Lhomme, started working on the lib. They simply chose a language they
thought would allow them the best results in the shortest possible time,
and for sure one major reason here was that all of them were fitter in
coding in C++ than in C.

Strange enough, there are 3 different implementations now (
libmatroska/libebml, Gabest' Guliverkli matroska DShow filters and
alexnoe's AVImux-GUI ), and all of them are C++ :O ! To make sure there
is no misunderstanding, both Gabest and alexnoe were NOT using
libmatroska for their tools, but coded their own implementation based on
the specs, and each of them decided to go for C++ for that.

Of course, we know very well that matroska's success is based on the
existing apps for making matroska files, namely Mosu's MKVtoolnix on
Linux ( and now also Win32 ) and Cyrius' VirtualdubMod, and again both
preferred using the C++ lib instead of rewriting it in C ..... anyhow,
thanks for the update, i hope some day somebody will make a 4th
implementation in plain C, and you guys help to include it into FFMPEG
:) .....

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org