[Matroska-devel] More on encryption

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Oct 2 14:58:20 CEST 2003

Hi Steve,

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:02, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Maybe we shold use OpenSSL for the encryption. Jory made a little
> encoder/decoder filter in DirectShow. I think we should try to use the
> encryptions used in OpenSSL (which is basically a network thing).

What encryption you want to use, depends very much on your goals to
accomplish with it. Do you want to obfuscate media (i.e. only make it
readable to those who you give permission, and only in those ways that
you permit)? Or do you want to compress it (decrease data size)?
Something else?

OpenSSL definately isn't that fast, though it's extremely good and
secure in what it does. Don't forget that it's merely a key encryptor,
i.e. if you've got the data on-disk and the key on-disk, nothing
prevents you from reading the file, no matter how secure you're making
it. Every encryption type has its limitations, nothing is 100% secure.

For compression, I'd advise zlib. OpenSSL isn't a lossless compressor.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer