[Matroska-devel] Re: [mpc-devel] Re: [mpc-users] A friendly welcome to the new subscribers

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Oct 1 16:05:32 CEST 2003

Joël Bourquard wrote:

>Hi Christian
>
>Thanks a lot for this warm welcome !
>I joined the mailing lists, so that I'd know where developments are
>headed and if/where I could help.
>So my first question would be, what are the current concerns, ideas,
>goodies, problems(?) in the ongoing development of Matroska and Musepack
>right now.

Forget matroska for the time being, the much more important thing is now
to finally get MPC SV8 moving. As i was writing on HA.org, i am of the
opinion that Frank could be remotivated to work on the encoder of SV8 if
we show him he is not alone on this project. So, first of all anybody
with some background in basic programming should be looking at the SV8
bitstream specs and comment on them, it doesnt need indeep knowledge of
psy models for that.

Once we get some feedback from Frank about the current status of the SV8
bitstream, we should start making a SV7 to SV8 conversion program. Once
we have that, i'd be astonished if Frank could not find his motivation
again to help with the encoder tuning, his favourite field.

>About me: I have not much experience in programming lossy audio codecs
>(ie: psymodels), but have deep interest in compression (entropy coding)
>and also signal processing. Also I'd describe myself as a perfectionist
>(and I like making fast algorithms, just like other people like driving
>fast cars).
>Greetings to all developers here.. :-)
>Joël

Great :D ! If you ever have some spare time, we are just discussing on
matroska-devel how to best compress subtitles when storing them in MKV
files ;) .... zlib will only give us a 1:2 compression on them, if we
compress them block for block, which is necessary if we want to make the
files editable ....

Christian
MPC and matroska project admin