[Matroska-devel] Re: [mpc-devel] Re: Protocol of my 2+ hrs telephone conversation with Frank Klemm

Roberto José de Amorim rjamorim at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 00:40:59 CET 2003

 --- Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at wiesneronline.net> escreveu:
> Apart from the better hardware
> decoder support in existing DVD players and Surround receivers, i
> personally cant see any reason to not use AAC for a new encoder format.

There is a rumour going around (and I stress this is only a rumour)
that you can detect by reading the mpegif mailing lists, about Sony
and Philips pushing AAC as the standard audio codec for Blu-Ray DVDs.

It makes sense, if you consider Philips and Sony have licensing
interests in the AAC format, while AC3 is only of interest for Dolby.
Besides, AAC is more efficient - you need about 300kbps to store
a 5.1 stream with good quality, while AC3 is usually encoded at
448kbps for 5.1 - a 50% increase in size.

Another hint of this tendency is the receiver Sony recently released
that supports multichannel AAC LC decoding. It has been mentioned at
Hydrogenaudio:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=10222&

Anyway, just some rumours...

Regards;