[Matroska-devel] Re: [mpc-devel] Re: Protocol of my 2+ hrs telephone conversation with Frank Klemm

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at wiesneronline.net
Mon Nov 17 23:02:02 CET 2003

Roberto José de Amorim wrote:

>It's worth mentioning that AC3 doesn't cope well with VBR. Even though
>it might be accepted by the standard, several decoders (most
>notably the ones from Dolby) choke on VBR streams.
>Roberto.

Roberto has a point here. It could be a wise decision to test especially
hardware AC3 decoders on their VBR performance before actually investing
work into a better tuned AC3 encoder. Apart from the better hardware
decoder support in existing DVD players and Surround receivers, i
personally cant see any reason to not use AAC for a new encoder format.
I guess Frank has made tests already, i hope he is capable of sending a
reply on this matter sooner or later.