[Matroska-devel] Overhead comparison FLAC in MKA, created with jcsston's FLAC encoder filter

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Nov 10 15:50:50 CET 2003

Hi,

here a few overhead comparisons on a MKA file made with Jory's FLAC
encoder filter and matroskamuxer filter on Graphedit :

Source file :                    682 MB

FLAC ( level 5 ) :           409 MB
OggFLAC ( level 5 ) :    413 MB
MKA Flac ( level ? ) :    438 MB

Any explanations why overhead is so much worse than for OggFLAC ? Do we
use lacing in matroskamuxer on DirectShow ? Any news from Gabest about
using the new lacing sheme in an updated version of matroska muxer filter ?

I still wonder if its a wise thing to treat FLAC as a normal ACM codec
in conjunction with A_MS/ACM .

@jcsston, gabest : any chances of uniting efforts to define a new
MEDIASUBTYPE for connecting FLAC encoder filter to matroskamuxer, so
that a native codec ID was used and an efficient lacing sheme ?