[matroska-devel] Re: changing #includes ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sun Jun 29 16:32:10 CEST 2003

Hi.

> It's not that easy. ;). Installing include files in the direct system
> include path is something you should prevent as much as possible.

That's why I put them into ${prefix}/include/ebml and
${prefix}/include/matroska in the first place.

> Think
> of glib-2.0 ($(includedir) = /usr/include/glib-2.0/), etc. The reason is
> that this allows you to install different versions without having the
> chance that one of them will be chosen while you wanted another one
> (possibly because the include path for the previous one was also given
> by the include path of another dependency library), since you always
> have to indicate the specific include path for this installed version.

Sure, that'd be /usr/include/matroska-1.0/ebml
/usr/include/matroska-1.0/matroska for example.

> So no, I'd recommend to keep it in a subdir of $prefix/include/, not in
> $prefix/include/ directly.

I want to do that!!! You misunderstood me.

At the moment the files are put into /usr/local/include/ebml,
/usr/local/include/matroska. The problem is that the include files
themselves don't have that ebml/ or matroska/ prefix, e.g.

#include <EbmlVersion.h>

and not

#include <embl/EbmlVersion.h>

That's what I'd like to change.

> I do think that it'd be a good idea if there was one generic include
> file, like Kax.h, which included all the other .h files. That'd make app
> developer's life a lot easier already. :).

That'd be cool as well, and it's easy to do, but it's an additional
request that I'd make. It'd have to be "#include <matroska/Kax.h>" or
something like that, and maybe "#include <ebml/Ebml.h>".

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)
http://www.matroska.org