[matroska-devel] Re: =[SPAM?]= Re: the road to 1.0 and beyond

Frank Klemm pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de
Sat Jun 28 14:48:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 06:35:07PM +1000, suxen_drol wrote:

> - suspending/restoring codec state. the ability to suspend the encoder,
> reboot and resume encoding at the same position.

Very important. It should be possible to cut separately encoded streams of
"audio/video/what else?" without any gap.

> - future: video codecs support multiple input streams (think: mp3 stereo).
> and maybe someday video segmentation will emerge to be popular.

- Multiple video streams is used with "Multiple Angle View"

- May be "fast forward" and "review" is possible in the future like we know
  it from VHS. For that it is useful to have two video streams
  - 1920 x 1080 @24 frames per second, high quality  (22 MBit/s)
  -  480 x  270 @3  frames per second, low quality   ( 0.6 MBit/s)

- Is it possible to play a video stream in reverse order?

- It should be possible to rearrange frames without copying the whole file.
  It should be possible to cutter a file without moving video or audio data.
  It should be possible to have a 3 hour video stream which can be arranged
  in 10 or 20 ways using these 3 hours of video. Remember the movie
  "Memento".

--
Frank Klemm

http://www.matroska.org