[matroska-devel] Re: the road to 1.0 and beyond

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jun 25 08:51:36 CEST 2003

Hey Chris,

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 08:32, ChristianHJW wrote:
> or try to rebuild/finish UCI starting from a powerful existing API such
> as a Xine or FFMPEG plugin API. We had thoughts to use the Gstreamer
> plugin API for that, but its hardly possible without having Gstreamer as
> complete framework underlying, so this is not an option.

Any replacement of UCI *has to* (this is not optional, it's a
requirement) be merely a *protocol*, not a *lib*. If it's not a
protocol, nobody will use it.

That goes for whatever name you give to it, and so attaching the name of
a media framework like xine or GStreamer to it will only give wrong
expectations.

Ronald

http://www.matroska.org