[matroska-devel] Re: Editing non VCM/VfW video files in VirtualdubMod

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 16:46:25 CEST 2003

--- Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org> wrote:

> Hi Cyrius,
>
> as jcsston has RV2MKV working, means we can trasnmux
> any RealMedia file
> into MKV fine, and DaveEL is working on avs2matroska
> already, so we will
> be able to produce 'native' MPEG4 MKV files ( not
> made with a VCM codec
> that means ), what are the actual requirements to be
> able to edit those
> files in VirtualdubMod, with or without preview ? Do
> i understand
> correctly that latest CVS version can edit native
> MPEG4 MKV files
> already, but will destroy b-frame information when
> saving the files
> again ? What about RV9 video, is this possible at
> all in VdubMod ?

Well the current requirement is to have the DivX 5
codec (I still have to let the user choose which codec
to use for MPEG4 streams). If the codec is there you
should be able to see the video, otherwise you won't
(but you will still be able to edit the file).
If I didn't make mistakes when editing the files in
DirectStream copy then the CodecID and CodecPrivate
elements are copied from the opened mkv file to the
destination mkv file (i.e. even if I don't know what
is in the stream, the edit won't dump vital
information).
Since the architecture of VirtualDub(Mod) was made for
AVI currently the 'B-frame' information should be
nullified in the process (in other words, the B-frames
will be processed as P-frames), which I guess isn't a
good thing :p
If RV9 doesn't use B-frames then I guess there won't
be problems editing those streams.