[matroska-devel] Re: interested in helping out

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Jun 12 11:04:32 CEST 2003

Damien Biggs wrote:

>I like the idea of matroska as avi is a bit old now. My experience is mainly with java. What would you need done in java?
>http://www.matroska.org

Hi Damien,

there were ideas to port libebml and libmatroska to native java, but
this is a lot of work, and i guess you needed to understand the C++ code
from robux4 to do so. Our team member spyder had plans to do this, but
he is more into C++ now, and doesnt do a lot with java anymore ;)

Making a JMF plugin for matroska, for both playback and file creation,
could be an interesting task, maybe based on the C++ lib as a kind of
wrapper, but for sure also a lot of work. We had plans also for a kind
of file repair tool, also using the C++ lib, and the nice thing about
this being in java was that it could be used x-platform, and for a file
repair tool there are no time performance/constraints that could be
problematic.

The purpose of suhc a tool was to :

- scan a file for so called EDC / ECC elements in the MKV file ...
simply by searching for the corresponding tag type of these elements (
not defined yet )

- check and reconstruct the content of the block/header, based with the
information in the EDC / ECC element

- If this is working fine, there were plans to add such EDC /ECC
elements to existing mkv files, such increasing file size by a couple of
MBs, but thus the file could safely be used on mode2 form2 CDs ( XCD ),
as it has its own protection 'embedded' in the file, especially for the
important stuff like

- main header
- track headers
- CUE sheets
etc.

so the file can be played in any case ....

Interesting for you ?

Christian

http://www.matroska.org