[matroska-devel] Re: UCI, matroska and rududu wavelet codec

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Jan 30 19:41:53 CET 2003

Kimmo wrote:
> XviD also has patents, but it's out of pays because general public
> distribution is only the source code, and it's not covered by patents but
> compiled version is. Anyone couldn't patent a thing which has been in
> general use for a long time I think.

Yes, the XviD is an example. LAME is another one.

In the other hand, we won't be able to distribute binaries officially. I
don't know what is the CoreCodec policy regarding these things.

Another interresting point of view, is that CoreCodec(.com) also sells a
player. It's nearly the same as the free one, but with more plugins with
patents, on which they pay a license. Rududu's codec could fall in that
category. And so the sources would fit well in the CoreCodec(.org) CVS :)

 > compiled version is. Anyone couldn't patent a thing which has been in
 > general use for a long time I think.

I think you're referring to "prior art" which means a patent is void if
something doing the same existed publically before the patent filling.

http://matroska.org