[matroska-devel] Re: UCI, matroska and rududu wavelet codec

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Jan 30 18:21:13 CET 2003

En réponse à nicolas <rududuvideocodec at ifrance.com>:

> Hi Christian, Hi all !
>
> Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >as i know the author of the rududu wavelet codec is subscribed to this
> list, i wanted to ask him a few questions using this mailing list :
> >
> >1. Does your wavelet codec work well via a normal VfW interface ? We
> are all aware that VfW will only support
> >
> >one frame in / one frame out
> >
> >concept, and i was wondering if this is a limitation for the efficiency
> of your codec ? I seem to remember that you told me that right now you
> are only doing the wavelet on a complete frame, what would mean no
> limits in this respect, but do you have any plans for the future
> development of your codec where you think VfW will fail ?
> >
> For the moment, my codec work well with the VfW interface, and I don't
>
> think I will have to face the one frame in / one frame out issue because
>
> I don't want to use B frame or 3D wavelet (but this could change). In
> the futur I plan to use long term motion compensation and I could have a
>
> problem if I reference a frame before the last key frame : I mean this
>
> could introduce two types of key frames :
> 1) A key frame that you can decode alone, but some future frames in the
>
> stream reference a frame before this key frame (false key frame)
> 2) A key frame that you can decode alone and no reference is made to the
>
> past of this frame (true key frame)
> This pb could be handled saying to the interface that the false key
> frames are P frames, but you lose a chance to give a fast look to the
> file.
>
> >2. Could you pls. post the latest working binaries to this list as
> attachement, or a link to it, so we could test the codec ? Does it work
> in Virtualdub right now ?
> >
> The latest working benaries are on rududu's website :
> http://rududu.ifrance.com/Rududu2.zip
> There are a lot of limitations with this binaries and some bugs in the
>
> color conversion. I have no newer "working benaries" realy working. And
>
> yes it work in virtualdub and you could be sure it will always work on
>
> vdub as I use it to debug.
>
> >3. As you may be aware we plan to move the matroska project to
> corecodec, an opensource community focussed on audio/video compression.
> Could you consider to go opensource with oyur codec one day and join
> this community with it ?
> >
> My codec could become opensource one day, but I am not realy aware of
> the legal issue, mainly about the patents of some algo I use (and I
> don't know if I have the right) and about the new ones I'm making (and I
> don't want a guy uses the source to patent them).

You might want to discuss with GLDM (Tony Hudson) about all this, as he's also
working on a new video codec that might be similar to yours.
He's often on our IRC channel #matroska (on the freenode network and soon on the
corecodec network)

> >Thanks for your answers
> >
> Thanks for your interrest to my codec
>
> Nicolas
>
> ps : pour les quelques français de cette liste, où habitez-vous ?
> Moi c'est vers Grenoble

Moi c'est Paris :)
Et Blacksun (le grand maître de CoreCodec) la Réunion (mais bientôt de retour en
métropole).

a+
http://matroska.org