[matroska-devel] Re: EBML project - CVS tree empty ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Jan 30 12:08:33 CET 2003

En réponse à Christian HJ Wiesner <christian at matroska.org>:

> Hi,
>
> i was trying to browse the EBML CVS tree and find its still empty ?
>
> I know that this is not at all 1st priority now, but its a bit of a
> surprise to me and has a negative side effect also as i was advertising
> EBML in the sourceforge developer facilities today, telling them there
> is some existing code for C++ and Java.
>
> Another thing is, what license would we chose for EBML as a project ? As
> EBML itself will probably never become subject to licensing from
> companies, i was setting L-GPL as license for the time being. Everybody
> agree with that ?

We don't plan to make business (or can) with this code. So I think we can give
it with the most free license. BSD could be used in closed source softwares and
we wouldn't even know it. While LGPL would be free to use by closed softwares
but all changes to the core should be published. So I vote for LGPL.

That way we don't need to change the license already in the source code :)

While working on libmatroska I'm still improving libebml (adding things) and
it's far from finished (grep for "\todo" in the code). Maybe spyder could have a
look at that code whenever he wants. As he may already be working on a EbmlDate
class that I forgot (don't forget to put your name in the copyright ;).

The problem is that the current EBML code is mixed with the matroska one. I
think it would be possible to remove all matroska related stuff and keep the
EBML compiling. If this is done, then it can be put in CVS (it's always good to
have a version in CVS compiling). Otherwise a source release can be made on SF
with a zip file : libebml.v0.beta1.zip or something like that. If spyder wants
to make that cool. Otherwise I'll make it ASAP (probably this week-end).

BTW, there is no plan for now to make a C wrapper, so the dynamic versions (C++
project) don't make much sense for the moment.
http://matroska.org