[matroska-devel] Re: more questions about libmatroska & CVS

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 24 15:08:03 CET 2003

En réponse à Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>:

> Hi.

Hi

> Several questions:
>
> 1) It seems that libmatroska does its own stream handling, and that
> there's nothing I can do about it. So it will either take a file name
> or an URL from which it reads its data. Is this true? If yes, will
> this
> be changed? It should be changed, because streaming/file access should
> not be part of a container library, just like decoding isn't part of
> it.

I don't really understand. What do you call stream handling ? If that's the IO
functions, there is a virtual class for that, and it can be used to create
another stream handling (one that does internal caching for example) if you need
to. These classes are part of the library, but should not use the libebml or
libmatroska namespaces. They are the same ones used in libmcf (and probably
copyrighted by Ingo).

> 2) If I get CVS access: what rules should I follow regarding coding
> style? Just use the same style as the source file? How about simple
> indentation changes (e.g. because I had to remove/add a for loop)? Who
> should commit? Should patches be sent to this list prior to
> committing?

There is currently no coding rules. But an good usual rule is to follow the ones
you find in the file you modify. I created 95% of them and usually code the same
way, but it may vary with time. As long as the code is readable it's OK with me.

I use a lot of tabs, but when alignement is required (ie not just code
identation) spaces should be used.

For the CVS, everyone is free to make modifications. There should be a mailing
list that notice all commits, but it's not currently working (I'll fix that).
http://matroska.org