[matroska-devel] Re: How UCI and Matroska could interact

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 16:13:59 CET 2003

In my mind there were two parts :
1) the matroska (or any other) library, called by the
program (editing tool, player, whatever) to read a
file.
2) the UCI (or any other) API also called by the
program to handle/decode the data in the file.

So in my mind the API wouldn't be directly linked to
any container (e.g. matroska) because this would be
strange (since UCI is meant to be 'universal' why is
it linked to matroska or MCF ?, in this case it should
be linked to any other container too).

Then what happens is that the program read data from
the file, give the data to the library to get only the
useful things.
Those useful things include stream headers and codec
specific data (if any). The information contained in
the header (Video codec type, ...) are sent to the API
(e.g. UCI) to know if there is an available codec to
decode those data. If so the data are sent to this
codec through the API, decoded and returned to the
program (through the API again).

As I don't know all the background about matroska/MCF
(and what was planned to be used before : Transors)
maybe my idea is just wrong and then maybe Steve or
John can explain here why and how the library
(matroska for instance) and the API (UCI) should be
linked :)