[matroska-devel] Re: Converting Subtitles

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Jan 22 09:28:51 CET 2003

En réponse à Pamel <Paul at msn.com>:

> Until it is decided how to store other subtitle formats in Matroska,
> it
> appears that we should come up with a way to convert other subtitle
> formats
> into something that can be used right now with Matroska.  I propose a
> simple
> USF conversion.  The examples given by Toff are very complex because of
> all
> of the options that are being shown off, but USF can be used as a very
> simple format.  For example:
>
> This is an example of some subs produced with subrip.
>
> 1
> 00:01:04,274 --> 00:01:06,390
> Thebes: City of the Living.
>
> 2
> 00:01:07,634 --> 00:01:10,068
> Crown jewel of Pharaoh Seti the First.
>
> 3
> 00:01:13,194 --> 00:01:16,664
> Home of lmhotep, Pharaoh's high priest.
>

> This is what it would look like converted to USF.
>
> <subtitles>
>
>  <subtitle start="00:01:04.274" stop="00:01:06.390">
>    <text>Thebes: City of the Living.</text>
>  </subtitle>
>
>  <subtitle start="00:01:07.634" stop="00:01:10.068">
>    <text>Crown jewel of Pharaoh Seti the First.</text>
>  </subtitle>
>
>  <subtitle start="00:01:13.194" stop="00:01:16.664">
>    <text>Home of lmhotep, Pharaoh's high priest.</text>
>  </subtitle>
>
> </subtitles>
>
> It is such a simple conversion, that this could easily be used to mux
> other
> subtitles into Matroska.  All we need is a directshow filter to show
> them with.

Is there any DirectShow filter for existing subtitle formats ? Because from what
I understand of DS (from Blacksun explanations) it's not that easy to put
anything over a video in DirectShow (except with the new DirectX 9). So such a
filter(s) would be complex. That's why it's usually handled separately, in the
player.
http://matroska.org