[matroska-devel] Re: Converting Subtitles

Pamel Paul at msn.com
Wed Jan 22 18:49:04 CET 2003

"Kimmo" <kimmo at poispakkoruotsi.com> wrote
> What about VobSub support? If we'd use the native subtitles in DVD without
> OCR. Would you include all directshow filters in one pack finally+

This is a valid question, however the purpose of the topic is to get any
subtitles in Matroska ASAP.

Storing the native DVD subtitles in Matroska early on will be very important
for a couple of reasons.  They are already formatted properly and will often
look better than forms and they support displaying any language or character
because of their picture nature.  But it needs to be decided how to store
them in Matroska.  If the subtitles are stored as a picture, then each
picture could be stored in a time coded block in the subtitle stream.
Pictures stored there should probably be compressed to PNG to save space,
but could be left as a BMP.  The VobSub sources could be modified to handle
the stream coming from libmatroska.

Anyone interested in looking at the VobSub Directshow sources should go
here:
http://vobsub.edensrising.com/vobsub.php

Pamel

http://matroska.org