[matroska-devel] Re: Log from Xiph.org .. for your convenience

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 17 09:43:48 CET 2003

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> <Emmett> Apparently the idea that granulepos is a feature is
> *completely* lost on robUx4.
> <Timmmm> You wish (and so do I)
> <Emmett> Using granulepos means that you can use *any kind of
> timekeeping you want.*
> <Emmett> SMPTE? Fine.
> <Emmett> Standard minutes and seconds? Again, fine.

EBML permits that and updating the code in 2 minutes (longest is to
compile, make a new release and upload it). That's what may be missing
in OGG (extending with this kind of thing). Maybe you can add it out of
the granulepos, which is how I would like things to be. But I doubt it.

Unlike OGG we don't need to stream everything. So only time based
information (SMPTE is too) is worth for us.

http://matroska.org