[matroska-devel] Re: MPEG in Matroska

John Cannon spyder482 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 05:53:05 CET 2003

"Steve Lhomme" <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote in message
news:1046336509.3e5dd3fd84b99 at imp.free.fr...

> En réponse   John Cannon <spyder482 at yahoo.com>:
>
> > I am coding a simple MPEG-1 parser i n hopes of making a transmuxer one
> > day.
>
> What happened to the 10 other projects you started ? :(
> If you never finish anything it's never going to serve anyone. (well, at
least
> YOU are learning)

Yes I am lerning and I am not sure of which 10 projects you speak.  I have
voiced my lack of interest in completing the Java version of Matroska.  My
AVISynth filters were pretty much lost in the HD crisis of a week ago.  As
for my SRT2USF, there is not much to be done here.  I came across a document
describing MPEG1 and began coding.  It gives me a chance to do real C coding
and something related to Matroska at least.  And also, it allows me to
learn.  I have already learned much from this project and I do not intend to
drop this one as I have some others.  I will hereby officially declare that
I am postponing my Java coding for EBML and Matroska.  My code is freely
available at the CVS for those who want it.

> > Anyway, I was wondering what would be the best method of storing the
> > frames?
> > In MPEG-1 even, the quantizer table can change at every GOP if you want.
> >  So
> > do we just chop the stream and include these headers with the I frame
> > or what?
>
> There is the CodecState that is supposed to handle that.

Ah yes.  That works nicely. :)

> OK, we also came to that conclusion. Hopefully the reference system in
matroska
> is flexible enough to support that :)

Striaght from ISO MPEG standards docs.  :)  It should support it fine as
long as it allows reverse references and two references. :) (AFAIK, this is
no issue)

Please don't think bad of me for trying new things repeatedly (I know it's
getting out of hand. :) )  Anyway, I just want to learn and one day be
skillful enought to do real coding instead of just Java or only simple C
things.  Afterall, I do have more free time than most of you I believe.

John

PS: I am writing this at 10:48 PM CST.  I will be leaving in the morning to
go South to Houma for Mardi Gras ;)  I will return once I have sobered up
Monday morning :)

http://www.matroska.org