[matroska-devel] Re: MPEG in Matroska

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Feb 27 10:01:49 CET 2003

En réponse à John Cannon <spyder482 at yahoo.com>:

> I am coding a simple MPEG-1 parser i n hopes of making a transmuxer one
> day.

What happened to the 10 other projects you started ? :(
If you never finish anything it's never going to serve anyone. (well, at least
YOU are learning)

> Anyway, I was wondering what would be the best method of storing the
> frames?
> In MPEG-1 even, the quantizer table can change at every GOP if you want.
>  So
> do we just chop the stream and include these headers with the I frame
> or what?

There is the CodecState that is supposed to handle that. BTW, that makes me
think, that in the codec (web)page the CodecState should be defined for each
codec (along with the CodecID and the CodecPrivate).

> PS: an answer to the discussion earlier, B frames can reference any
> frame
> before or after them in the same GOP as long as it's not another B
> frame.
> And P frames can reference any single frame before them in the same
> GOP.
> (from a very trusted source :) )

OK, we also came to that conclusion. Hopefully the reference system in matroska
is flexible enough to support that :)
http://www.matroska.org