[matroska-devel] Re: Audio ACM compatibility

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at wiesneronline.net
Tue Feb 18 17:33:02 CET 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>Hi.
>

>>I'm going to make a quick webpage that sums this up (maybe with the structures),
>>hopefully someone will continue to update as more codec are supported ;)
>>

>Great :) Perhaps you could also include a link to the posting on
>corecodec in which Christian listed all known CodecIDs so that the
>reader can actually see what we're talking about? It's...

I will attach the text of the code including the tags from the original
thread in the post, as i think we should upload it to the website directly.

Please note that i made some changes !!!

Regards Christian :

List :

b][i]matroska[/i][/b] codec/compression format ident string : 16 Bytes

1. 'V_RGB_24' : RGB, 24 Bit

2. V_YUV_32' : YUV, 32 Bit

3. V_YV2_32 : YV2, 32 Bit

etc. .. too lazy to list all colourspaces :D ... somebody got a list ?

11. 'V_MS/VFW/FOURCC' : Unknown codec, probably not in matroska native
codec list, see codec 'private' data and use suitable decoder based on
FourCC code ( former : MCF-A stream ) ; stream is transmuxed from AVI or
OGM, muxed from DirectShow or created with an existing VfW codec from
VdubMod or the like

12. 'V_MS/DSHOW/GUID' : Unknown codec, probably not in matroska native
codec list, see codec 'private' data and use suitable decoder based on
GUID  ( Formerly : MCF-A stream, also for ACM audio codecs ) ; stream is
transmuxed from AVI ( breaking specs ) , OGM or muxed via DirectShow

13. 'V_MPEG4IS0_SP' : Video, MPEG4ISO simple profile ( DivX4 ) ; stream
was created via UCI codec or transmuxed from MP4, not simply transmuxed
from AVI ( but it may be possible to convert a MPEG4 video stream coming
from an AVI, with special tools

14. 'V_MPEG4IS0_SAP' : Video, MPEG4ISO simple advanced profile ( DivX5,
XviD ) ; stream was created ... ( see above )

15. 'V_MPEG4IS0_AP' : Video, MPEG4ISO advanced profile ; stream was
created ... ( see above )

16. 'V_MSMPEG4' : Video, Microsoft MPEG4 V1/2/3 and derivates, means
DivX3, Angelpotion, SMR, etc. ; stream was created using VfW codec or
transmuxed from AVI

17. 'V_MPEG2' ; Video, MPEG 2

18. 'V_MPEG1' ; Video, MPEG 1

19. 'V_REALRV9' ; Video, Realmedia, RV 9

20. 'V_QUICKTIME/FOURCC' ; Video, Quicktime, QT FourCC ; anybody aware
of QT codecs that dont have a FourCC ?

21. 'V_MSWMV' ; Video, Microsoft Video

22. 'V_INDEO5' ; Video, Indeo 5 ; transmuxed from AVI or created using
VfW codec

23. 'V_MJPEGLL' ; Video, MJpeg Lossless

24. 'V_MJPEG' ; Video, MJpeg codec ( lossy mode, general )

25. 'V_MJPEG2000' ; Video, MJpeg 2000

26. 'V_DV_1' ; Video, DV Video , type 1 ( audio and video mixed )

27. 'V_DV_2' ; Video, DV Video , type 2 ( audio and video separate
tracks, from AVI )

28. 'V_THEORA' ; Video, Ogg Theora

29. 'V_TARKIN' ; Video, Ogg Tarkin

30. 'V_ON2VP4' ; Video, ON2, VP4

31. 'V_ON2VP5' ; Video, ON2, VP5

32. 'V_3IVXD4' ; Video, 3ivX ( is D4 decoder downwards compatible ? )

33. 'V_SORENSEN' ; Video, Sorensen codec ; same here, how many versions
are there ?

34. 'V_HUFFYUV' ; Video, HuffYuv, lossless ; auch als VfW möglich

35. 'V_COREYUV' ; Video, CoreYuv, lossless ; auch als VfW möglich

...... to be continued

Audio :

1. 'A_MS/ACM' ; Probably unknown audio codec, use M$ UUID to identify
and call ACM codec or Dshow filter for decoding

2. 'A_VORBIS' ; Audio, Vorbis, created via UCI or transmuxed from OGG/OGM

3. 'A_MPEGLAYER3' ; Audio, MPEG 1, 2, 2.5 Layer 3 ( MP3 ) ; created via
UCI or transmuxed from MP3, OGM or AVI

4. 'A_MPEGLAYER2' ; Audio, MPEG 1, 2 , 2.5 Layer 2 ( MP2 ) ; created via
UCI ( tooLame ) or transmuxed from MPEG

5. 'A_PCM16IN' ; Audio, PCM, Integer 16 Bit

6. 'A_PCM24IN' ; Audio, PCM, Integer 24 Bit

7. 'A_PCM24FP' ; Audio, PCM, 24 Bit Floating Point

8. 'A_PCM32FP' ; Audio, PCM, 32 Bit Floating Point

9. 'A_FLAC' ; Audio, FLAC, ( lossless )

10. 'A_MPEG2_AAC' ; Audio, AAC, MPEG2 standard

11. 'A_MPEG4_AAC' ; Audio, AAC , MPEG4 standard

12. 'A_DOL_AC3' ; Audio, AC3

13. 'A_MPC' ; Audio, MPC ( musepack )

14. 'A_MSWMA' ; Audio, Microsoft Media Audio

15. 'A_MONKEY' ; Monkey lossless audio codec ( .ape )

etc. p.p.

Subtitles :

1. 'S_USF' : Universal Subtitles Format

2. 'S_SSA' : Fansubber format