[matroska-devel] Re: AVI compatibility misunderstanding

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Feb 17 18:35:04 CET 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

>Guess what, I don't understand that sentence - perhaps because I've
>never done DirectShow/VfW coding. A simple question: if I use
>A_MPEGLAYER3 and fill in all KaxAudio* elements, will the Windows apps
>be able to handle that on their own? As in 'yes, they'll just recreate
>a WAVEHEADEREX if needed and search for the corresponding codec'?

For the DirectShow playback it will be the parser filters job ( myFUN )
to either

- reconstruct all the data it needs to be able to call an audio
DirectShow filter ( MP3, AC3 ), maybe by storing WAVEFORMATEX info from
the most used codecs and channel setups ( AC3 2.0 , AC3 5.1 etc. ) in a
table somewhere, and by completing that when calling the filter

- decode the audio with a built in ( hardcoded ) decoder and output PCM
audio, like for Vorbis, FLAC and MPC

Regards

Christian

http://matroska.org