[matroska-devel] Re: AVI compatibility misunderstanding

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Feb 17 17:39:30 CET 2003

Another one from the trio ;)

[17:24] <spyder482> KaxCodecPrivate - conatining subelements with codec data
[17:24] <spyder482> MSCompatibility - containing subelements for MS shit

When the stream comes from... an MP3 file for example, KaxCodecPrivate has a
special form and MSCompatibility is not used.
When the source is ACM based (AVI, WAV) MSCompatibility is filled and
KaxCodecPrivate is not filled...

SO KaxCodecPrivate and MSCompatibility are redundant. They are not used
separately. That's why they are THE SAME !

MSCompatibility is just a particular case of filling KaxCodecPrivate. In this
case the codec is A_MS/ACM (or something like that), regardless if it's PCM,
MPEG, Vorbis, My ASS, inside the ACM structure, etc...

Later (sooner as possible) we'll make hacks to transform some well known ACM
codec  into native matroska streams.
http://matroska.org