[matroska-devel] Re: AVI compatibility mode?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Feb 17 16:13:55 CET 2003

En réponse à Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>:

> Hi.
>
> Ok, you two have conviced me that I'll try to add the structures as
> well.
>
> Here's anoter question ;) BITMAPANDSOON for a video track, and
> WAVEHEADEREX for an audio track - but what about e.g. the codec data
> that Vorbis uses? (Same issue as the Huffman tables)

Vorbis doesn't have an existing WAVEHEADEREX system. So we have to define the
way data internal to the codec are handled. You're probably the most qualified
person here to know what is needed. All this, like for AVI, should go in the
matroska fields when they correspond to a Vorbis value (like sampling
frenquency) otherwise it should go in the codec private data (in a structure
known publicly).

> Those two structures should be well documented in the specs on the web
> page including the reasons why there are used.

Definitely ! For inter operability. Maybe that's a webpage that could be added
to the website : explaining what to put in the codec private data, for each
codec we "support".
http://matroska.org