[matroska-devel] Re: Comments needed on seeking part

ChristianHJW chris at wiesneronline.net
Fri Feb 14 17:24:23 CET 2003

Hi all,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Lhomme" <steve.lhomme at free.fr>
To: "Matroska Development" <matroska-devel at freelists.org>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 12:36 PM
Subject: [matroska-devel] Comments needed on seeking part
> Also, if the Meta Seek element doesn't exist, the cue entries can still
exist at
> the end of the file (which contain frame-precision-seeking based on
timecode),
> so the DirectShow filter might be able to first parse the file to find
these
> entries before starting the playback (not possible from a network stream).
> http://matroska.org

you know i am not a coder, so this may be complete rubbish now, but look at
it from a brainstoming point of view ;)  :

Instead of having one big seek table at the end of the file, why not make it
like that :

1. several seek tables at cluster 100, 200, 300, 400 ,etc.

2. Seek tabel at cluster 100 contains the entries for cluster 1 - 99 , table
at cluster 200 contains entries for 101 - 199, etc ....

3. To be able to cover different scenarios ( huge cluster sizes, etc. ) you
can define a value stating in the file header telling you after how many
clusters a new seek table would come. In my scenario above this value was
100

Regards

Christian

http://matroska.org