[matroska-devel] Re: Important decision about codec ID handling until UCI will be here

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Feb 10 22:15:31 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kimmo" <kimmo at poispakkoruotsi.com>
To: <matroska-devel at freelists.org>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 4:44 PM
Subject: [matroska-devel] Re: Important decision about codec ID handling
until UCI will be here
> Have you yet made decisions about storing uncompressed PCM audio in
> Matroska? For example, TV channels would like that option.

Sure, the ability to do this was one of the main reasons to start with
MCF/matroska development for robux4, as he is aiming to be able to mix large
PCM audio files in matroska capable mixing software. If you check the codec
ID list, there are already IDs for that.

> And what about
> storing MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 inside Matroska? It has surely better error
> correction routines for example than these formats and it makes possible
> using MPEG video compression and Vorbis audio for ex.

Its my main goal for the moment !! Unfortunately the MPEG container is quite
complex, and the only one who knows it very well and has a certain relation
to our project is Alex Stewart, the founder of UCI. Hopefully i will be able
to motivate other people to help us with this, as its not trivial at all. In
any case, matroska does have the flexibility to make it possible ;) !

Christian

http://matroska.org