[matroska-devel] Re: container format

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sat Feb 8 23:02:22 CET 2003

"Moritz Bunkus" <moritz at bunkus.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20030208214048.GI26772 at bunkus.org...
> No, I'll still implement Linux support for Matroska. At the moment the
> current source is not usable with mplayer/mencoder because of at least
> two things: lacking C interface and the fact that the example programs
> do their own file handling. Once libmatroska has reached a 'more useful
> state' (regarding my/mplayer's needs) I'll use it.

Thanks Moritz

> As for the other mails: I'm not so sure that both 'formats' want to
> achieve the same thing. As far as I understand matroska wants to be
> extendable, rather complete and the like. What the MPlayer guys want to
> have is something simpler, more in the direction of Ogg, but with some
> fundamental differences.

What i still dont undertstand is what the need for an 'easy' format is. Easy
to code ? Well, thats why we made libmatroska, to make it easy to be
supported from any apps. We always promised to make a C API, and there will
be one.
Easy to parse ? Well, are their PCs so weak that they fear the impacts on
their CPUs when parsing matroska ?
Anyway, they are free to do what they want.

> Now to the language used. I know that A'rpi and other MPlayer
> developers are not the most friendly people in the world. But simply
> telling someone that 'he sucks' will only inflame the situation. Be
> prepared to receive a lot of flames, especially as you wrote it on
> MPlayer's devel mailing list. This sucks, too.

This is a public list, anybody can subscribe to it. If there wasnt gmane.org
and their NNTP interface, i would be subscribed also. I guess i do have the
right to defend my project if ii gets insulted. Maybe i am wrong here, i
dont know.

> Perhaps both formats will find their fans, perhaps only one will
> survive. Who can tell? But diversity is a good thing IMHO, so I
> personally hope that both will succeed.

I dont have a problem that they decide to make their own format, for sure.
Unlike Xiph people we are not planning to take over the opensource
audio/video world. What i do mind is that they are not fair with us.

> And as I said - I will implement both 'external tools' as well as
> a MPlayer demuxing module for Matroska. Just like I will develop tools
> for that 'MPlayer container format'.
>  ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)

Thanks :)

http://matroska.org