[matroska-devel] Re: container format

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Feb 8 22:40:48 CET 2003

Hi.

> So this is not valid anymore ? Please Moritz, inform me if you are not
> interested in the job anymore , so i can search for somebody else making
> Linux support for matroska.

(I already replied to the mplayer-dev list, so here's my reply for this
list as well.)

No, I'll still implement Linux support for Matroska. At the moment the
current source is not usable with mplayer/mencoder because of at least
two things: lacking C interface and the fact that the example programs
do their own file handling. Once libmatroska has reached a 'more useful
state' (regarding my/mplayer's needs) I'll use it.

As for the other mails: I'm not so sure that both 'formats' want to
achieve the same thing. As far as I understand matroska wants to be
extendable, rather complete and the like. What the MPlayer guys want to
have is something simpler, more in the direction of Ogg, but with some
fundamental differences.

Now to the language used. I know that A'rpi and other MPlayer
developers are not the most friendly people in the world. But simply
telling someone that 'he sucks' will only inflame the situation. Be
prepared to receive a lot of flames, especially as you wrote it on
MPlayer's devel mailing list. This sucks, too.

Perhaps both formats will find their fans, perhaps only one will
survive. Who can tell? But diversity is a good thing IMHO, so I
personally hope that both will succeed.

And as I said - I will implement both 'external tools' as well as
a MPlayer demuxing module for Matroska. Just like I will develop tools
for that 'MPlayer container format'.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)
http://matroska.org