[Matroska-devel] Replacing MPC SV8 framing with a stripped down matroska 'elementary' file ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Aug 8 13:05:59 CEST 2003

Hi devs,

http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~pfk/mpp/sv8/components.html

It appears to me that Frank Klemm might have got the hang of working on
SV8, and IMHO the main reasons for this could be

- although many people are using MPC, he didnt get any valuable input
from other devs ( apart from Case ) about his proposed specs changes for
the SV8 framing. I guess robux4 can confirm, nothing is more
demotivating for a developer who invested quite a lot of time into
making a clear, readable specs page ( me is reminded about transor API
), and getting no feedback at all.

- he sees that this is a LOT of work to do, and also the encoder needs
to be improved same time to keep up with the development speed of other
'competing' formats ( Frank's strong side ). On the other hand, the
limitations of SV7 are such that he doesnt want to go on with
development of MPC, using this old framing ( no 5.1/7.1 defined, no DRC
fields, high overhead, low error resilience, etc. )

I am turning to you guys, and i know you have all hands full of work, to
take a short timeout from current matroska development and have a look
at the SV8 specs as linked above. matroska gets a lot of motivating
cheers from all sides currently and its fun to work under these
conditions, but we should not forget that it was Frank who helped a lot
to define the basic EBML structure these days, by brainstorming together
with Steve about how a good container should look alike.

Your comments, and even only technical questions about the current
draft, should go to mpc-devel at freelists.org, the official MPC
Development ML ( Frank is subscribed still ... at least i hope so ) .

Best regards