[matroska-devel] Re: tag names

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Apr 28 10:20:11 CEST 2003

En réponse à Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>:

> Hi.

Hi Moritz,

> Just read the following in the logs:
>
> KaxTagMultiCommercialMultiPricePriceDate_TheId
>
> Two things...
>
> 1) this is LONG! It's 46 characters long!? Your typical C/C++ source
>    code has lines that aren't longer than 79 chars under Linux/Unix
> and
>    with an identifier this long you'll start to get problems VERY
>    soon. Especially if this is a level 4/5 element - then the
>    indentation I have to use already takes up about 30 or more
>    characters.

Sure, that's probably not a good example. When I create class, I only use the
name at the level and maybe the direct upper level, no more. It should already
give a unique name.

> Can't you think of a better naming scheme? A shorter one? Pleeeeaase? :)

See above

> 2) Why use underscores? So far no class name contains underscores. Why
>    start now? It's more consistent not to use them and just keep up
> with
>    the upper character on each word boundary scheme :)
>
> Lately I've criticised several of such small inconsistencies, but I
> think about other people who will be using this library. In a lot of
> cases inconsistent names/function arguments tend to confuse people. I
> just want to keep the library as consistent in itself as possible.

I agree.

> Oh another thing: Steve: why do the function names in IOCallback not
> start capitalized like all the other classes' functions? :)
> (e.g. getFilePointer, setFilePointer)

Because Ingo wrote these classes not me.
Instead of fixing such things, I may rewrite the IO system because that's the
only file that may have license problems (even though Ingo didn't make any
problem so far)... For example he uses throw which I want to remove from the lib.
http://www.matroska.org