[matroska-devel] Alternatives to FLAC for lossless audio compression

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Apr 26 23:21:35 CEST 2003

Hi,

just for your information, there is more ( and maybe even better
alternatives ) than FLAC out there to make one of our dreams come true
one day ( lossless audio captuing from VdubMod into matroska ). A very
good comparison page seems to be here :
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/hvdh/lossless/lossless.htm . I am listing
a few ( not all ) of them here :

1. WAVPACK : http://www.wavpack.com/

David Bryant is the author, and i am copying Roberto Amorim on this
email with the request to forward this email to David if he was maybe
interested to look at matroska to have a container for storage/tagging
purposes ? I hope we could have a Wavpack DirectShow plugin for TCMP one
day ? Its opensource and seems to be more effective than FLAC ?

2. OptimFROG : http://ghido.shelter.ro/

Downside : not Opensource i guess, at least i couldnt find any sources
on his download page, that makes it hard to integrate into VdubMod

3. LA : http://www.lossless-audio.com/

Same as 2. no source available

In terms of speed ( CPU cycles ) vs. efficiency it seems that Wavpack
can absolutley compete with FLAC, as you can see from the graphs in the
comparison link give above.

Should we change our minds and maybe prefer Wavpack for our preferred
lossless audio compressor ? Especially as FLAC is a part of Xiph and has
tools to mux it into Ogg container ?

What you think ?

Christian

http://www.matroska.org