[matroska-devel] Re: Matroska public alpha release date : 1 st May 2003

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Apr 9 11:50:34 CEST 2003

* Here are the 4 major projects on which we should concentrate right now (in
order of importance) :

1) DirectShow demuxer supporting playback of audio(PCM, MP3, ACM-based, AC3,
Vorbis), video(YUV, VCM-based, DirectShow-based, DIVX, XviD), subtitles (simple
(?), USF).

2) VirtualDubMod writing of matroska files (hopefully with all the codec
mentioned above) from an AVI source or from a capture card

2) Mosu MKVTools to create matroska files from various sources and extract meta
informations

3) DirectShow muxer supporting encoding of all possible DirectShow encoded
streams. It should be equivalent to OggDS

4) TCMP plugin to extract meta informations to display/edit (equivalent to
editing ID3 tags).

* Here is the "roadmap" that we should try to achieve until the 1st of May :

- 09/04 to 26/04 : implement as much as possible in all these tools.

- 27/04 to 31/04 : test the tools internally and verify compatibility with the
specs and all playback/reading tools.

- 01/05 : make binary and source releases of these tools available to the public
on many platforms. Advertise about it in popular places (Doom9, HydrogenAudio
mostly). Make some basic files available with their AVI equivalent.

* Here is who can do what (for all those mentioned and not mentioned please
correct things) :

- Me : I won't be home for 9 days so I can only work with my iBook (still have
problems linking libmatroska on OSX) or my parents (slow) computer. Until that
I'll update the little things remaining in the CC Tracker. When I'll be back
home I'll have 7 days to work 24/24 on matroska on whatever is needed :
DirectShow (on the matroska side), VDubMod, Mosu Tools, TCMP plugin.

- Spyder : As mpv2mkv is hardly needed for the moment, he will start looking at
how DirectShow works and try to help where he can. I think he can help on the
format when I'm away. And can also have a look at Mosu tools, horpfully
compiling on Windows too.

- Christian : Keep a daily update on the progress on each side to "reassign"
prioroties when needed.

- myFUN : well I can't say really since we don't see him often. But we need the
latest update of the DSF and the status on this code (what is missing and ideas
on how to add what is missing). If he has the time until 01/05 to help on the
DSF it will be highly appreciated.

- Cyrius : VDubMod 1.5 integration of matroska. Altough I understand he may have
other priorities too.

To keep everybody coordinated, I highly recommend the use of CVS for all the 5
tasks mantioned above.

Side Note : Blacksun could you see with Cytoplas ASAP why syncmail in the
Matroska CVS doesn't send the emails (even though it says it does) ??? This is
really important to avoid some errors when people update code over someone
else's code.
http://www.matroska.org