[matroska-devel] Re: Matroska Tags

Pamel Paul at msn.com
Mon Apr 14 10:22:28 CEST 2003

Here is a list of the elements listed under Tracks and Chapters that I was
planning on moving to the Tags element.  There were a couple that I wasn't
sure about, and I need input on them.  The idea is that this is information
that isn't essential to playback, but is informational.

The first is Name.  A basic element for the name of a track (like a song's
name) is already put in the MultiEntity element and allows for a URL and
comments on it.  It is extremely convenient to have it there, and allows for
a greater flexibility, without increasing the number of elements.  However,
a piece of information so basic as the name of the track may be better left
in the tack information, so that a basic reader wouldn't have to look at the
tags at all.  We could duplicate it, but that would mean that you have to
make sure to change two elements anytime the name is altered.

The second are the CodecXXX elements.  While some of them obviously belong
in the Track section, the rest are purely informational and can be moved to
the Tags section.  However, you would be breaking up a class of elements.

The third is the audio gain information.  This information would fit quite
well in the Tags section and would remove the duplication of existing in
both the tracks section and the chapters section.  The problem is that a
basic player that supported audio gain would have to get that information
from the Tags, and that might complicate things a bit.

The main issue here is how difficult it would be to retrieve this
information if it is stored under Tags.  I'm not sure how much of this
libmatroska would handle, but I need to know if this would be a real issue.
If it would be an issue for a hardware player, then those elements MUST stay
where they are.  However, if it would be handled easily, then it would only
make sense to move them.

Name
Language
CodecName