[matroska-devel] Re: Matroska Tags

Pamel Paul at msn.com
Thu Apr 10 06:52:22 CEST 2003

"Steve Lhomme" <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote
> Suppose we add a tag for the colour of the shirt of the chick
> next to the singer (only the one on the left). It is part of the standard.
So
> whoever wants to create a new exhaustive tagging system will have to
support it.

Anyone that creates a new exhautive tagging system will already have to
support all of these tags because they already exist.  The point is to
support current tagging systems.  I haven't created a single tag, all I have
done is pull together existing formats and sort out the duplicates.  The
only tags that I am removing are ones that aren't valid to Matroska, like
the INDEX tag in ID3, or the Morgan Multimedia Language tags.

> So I propose to strip the uncessary ones....

I'm not trying to decide which tags aren't useful, I'm just trying ensure
that information tags in other formats are supported.  I already have an
excel spreadsheet that is 28x143.  (Thats 143 total tag types)  32 of those
are already different types of EntityName, and several more fall under other
items for MultiEntity.  A couple just go under already existing Matroska
tags like the picture attachment in ID3 would just be an attachment.  And
there are many marked N/A as they are specific to the format they come from.

> At one point we have to stop. Maybe that's where a more generic system
comes.
> With "TAG_NAME" = "TAG_VALUE". Anyone can add whatever and we keep a list
of
> "possible" ones, but not endorsed as standard.

*shudder*  Thats what Ogg uses.  Just look at the lack of compatability that
created.  The few people that try to use it don't even follow the
recommendations OR the specs.  I'll just leave in the "Involved people list"
tag from ID3 in the EntityName element.  People should be able to use that
and use the Comments element under the MultiEntity to describe the obscure
job/shirt color of the person named.

Pamel

http://www.matroska.org